mailing list management

t3st3r t3st3r at mail.ru
Thu Aug 16 01:37:13 CEST 2007

hank williams wrote:

>     I think that this is not useful at all.
>

> Actually it would be quite useful.
I'm do not thinking so.It will waste valuable space in Subject column of
message list with STUPID and REDUNDANT tags which carry no useful info
at all and just wasting space in Subject column of messages list,
leaving less space for really useful subject lines.This will not make
things better I guess.

> Without such a header I am unable to *visually* distinguish between this
Why do you need to do this, at all? You can just set up rules to move
messages on arrival into separate folders (based on Sender field content
for example).Quite easy rules and this works perfectly.So I'm for
example have this mailing list in one separate folder.And another lists
in another folders.Simple and works, offloading my brain to more
interesting tasks than "visual distinguishing" of mail messages from
mailing lists.I'm using Thunderbird but I guess almost any full-featured
e-mail program can do this for you, freeing your brain for more
interesting things than sorting e-mail by your own eyes.Crafting such
simple rules takes some 5 minutes and then reduces load on brain greatly
so you do not need to spend yor time on visual distinguishing at
all.Let's machine to work and humans to think.It is a bad idea to
execute machine work (like sorting dozens of messages by criteria) if
you're human.

> and other mailing lists or mail. Filters are useful for organizing,
> but I personally prefer to see my whole inbox and to view and scan all
> inbound content.
Imho mail list is rather resembles newsgroups than e-mail so it is
strange to have all things in common place - this will render your inbox
into huge "Junk e-mail" folder :).Of course nobody can forbid you to do
machine work like sorting mail by criteria on your own but I guess there
is lots of more interesting things to do :).And well, yes, I did located
all mail lists related folders as subfolders of Inbox folder.So, I can
still scan through all incoming mail if I really need this.Let's admit
that automatic move of mail lists to other folders makes a lots easier
to find and handle "usual" (user-to-user) messages.Otherwise it rather
looks like dealing with huge "Junk email" folder :D

> Of course the other thing I always complain about is that this is the
> only mailing list I am on (out of >10) for which (at least in gmail)
> replies to a thread go to the individual and not the list unless I say
> "reply to all"
Let's agree here, this is a bit annoying thing.I did not seen other
lists with such strange behavior.Imho if I'm clicking Reply, default
action should be reply to list and not to a specific user.And even if
you'll "Reply to all" this causes To to contain author of message and CC
to contain list.What is the clue to bother author with "personal"
(user-to-user) message?If author needs reply, (s)he is reading mailing
list as well, isn't it?