Duplicate message troubleshooting

Marco Barreno barreno at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 16 20:36:05 CEST 2007

Good idea.  I'll do that later today if I don't get a direct response
from an admin.

Marco

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 08:25:42PM +0200, thus spake Santiago Crespo:
> Hi Marco,
>
> I think that the best way to solve this is opening a bug in the bugzilla.openmoko.org system, select "Site Infraestructure" and then "Lists":
>
> http://bugzilla.openmoko.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Site%20Infrastructure
>
> Nobody has reported this yet:
>
> http://bugzilla.openmoko.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Site+Infrastructure&component=Lists&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=
>
> Thanks!
>

> El mar, 24-07-2007 a las 13:14 -0700, Marco Barreno escribi??:
> > Messages to the list are being duplicated again.  Some of the messages
> > are from Gmail, but not all (e.g. some are from kostyrka.org and
> > cnlohr.com).  I can try to help debug the problem from the Gmail end
> > if an admin on the list machine can send me verbose SMTP logs; please
> > see below for details.  Harald or Sean, can one of you send detailed
> > logs?  Anyone else?
> >
> > Some Gmail message IDs with duplicated messages today:
> >   e4b4377c0707240911s5d79faa4s48dea3b00a4418c4 at mail.gmail.com
> >   eef811f30707240955i4348c71ai16f337968c714e67 at mail.gmail.com
> >   562ec500707241157r4205bba7p919a99eb489552c6 at mail.gmail.com
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marco
> >

> > ----- Forwarded message from Marco Barreno <barreno at CS.Berkeley.EDU> -----
> >
> > From: Marco Barreno <barreno at CS.Berkeley.EDU>
> > Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:36:57 -0700
> > To: "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200707 at gmail.com>
> > Cc: community at lists.openmoko.org
> > Subject: Re: gmail.com problems and this list
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >

> > Short version:
> >
> > It seems the duplicated messages are not just a Gmail problem: mails
> > are also being duplicated from starband.net and possibly others as
> > well, so it seems the problem is likely something on the openmoko side
> > that only happens to cause duplicates with some sending domains and
> > not others.  I'ts also not consistent; some messages from Gmail and
> > starband.net are duplicated while others aren't.
> >
> > I've checked with the Gmail team, and the duplicated messages from
> > Gmail are happening because Gmail doesn't receive the SMTP OK from the
> > openmoko list server, so it retransmits because it thinks the messages
> > don't get delivered.  To debug further, an admin on the list machine
> [...]

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed,
given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom."
    - Dwight D.  Eisenhower, U.S. general and 34th president (1890-1969)