Bug 256, gsmd sudden death and making phone calls

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 07:07:25 CEST 2007

I just got my Neo today (order 2579) and flashed it with

openmoko-devel-image-fic-gta01-20070813013449.rootfs.jffs2
uImage-2.6.21.6-moko11-r1_0_0_2688_0-fic-gta01.bin

gsmd started up, but by the time I could ssh into the phone, gsmd was
not running.  (I wish it would write a log.  /etc/init.d/gsmd says it
uses syslog, but I don't have any log files in /var/log, just wtmp.
syslogd is running.)    Then I saw the symptoms of bug 256 - I tried
connecting manually via cu, and did not see the prompt.  Did stty -F
/dev/ttySAC0 crtscts and turned the radio off and on again and got in
via cu and saw a corrupted prompt.  Then I was able to manually send
commands to register on the network, dial a call etc.  Then I tried
gsmd, tested the shell for a while.  Eventually gsmd died.  I had that
happen several times.

Well I just rebooted and tried to ssh in as quickly as possible.  gsmd
started (it said success on the console too) and I got in and saw gsmd
running:

root at fic-gta01:~$ ps  | grep gsm
 1143 root        588 S   gsmd -p /dev/ttySAC0 -s 115200 -F
 1229 root        532 R   grep gsm

then immediately after that, it was no longer:

root at fic-gta01:~$ libgsmd-tool -m shell
libgsm-tool - (C) 2006 by Harald Welte
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Can't connect to gsmd
root at fic-gta01:~$ ps  | grep gsm
root at fic-gta01:~$

This time I restarted it manually and so far it is still running.

A couple times when I managed to make an outgoing call (to my land
line), on the land line I heard periodic beeps, as if the Neo was
trying to connect to a fax.  Otherwise I have no audio getting through
in either direction, but I haven't farted around with the mixer long
enough to be sure that's an actual problem.

The status bar does not show connected state (just shows an antenna
icon with a question mark).  But the dialer app works if I restart X
after having restarted gsmd.

gsmd just died again.

Do I have a hardware problem, or is everybody seeing this sort of flakiness?