Forum? (Was Re: Neo Sound and USB Questions)

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 21 12:46:56 CEST 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 11:19:57AM +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Harald,
>
> please calm down. I know from your blog how upset you are from setting
> up the new office location, networks and servers during Taifun time.

in fact that was the most fun part.

> But just one question to answer for yourself: do you want to have
> community involvement or not?

I am from the community ;)  And not in my 10+ years of FOSS community
development have I seen any project that had problems with properly
using mailinglists.

Forums are for people who don't understand the technology of properly
dealing with e-mails.   Of what use is something that's only available
online?  Of no use at all.  Try keeping a local copy of a forum on your
laptop.  Why should openmoko be any different?

We will most likely have a forum for _end users_ at a time where we want
to address end users.  But not for developers, sorry.

> Now as your network appears to work again, please focus on solving kernel,
> uboot, etc. issues that we as the "dumb users" can't solve ourselves.
> I am for example still fighting the issue with short and long rootfs
> flashing and NAND erasing, that leaves an inoperable OpenMoko device

If you consider yourself a "dumb user", then you probably are not the
kind of developer crowd  that we are addressing at this moment :(