Forum? (Was Re: Neo Sound and USB Questions)

AVee openmoko-comunity at avee.org
Wed Aug 22 18:14:39 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 15:06, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 21.08.2007 um 12:46 schrieb Harald Welte:
> >
> > I am from the community ;)  And not in my 10+ years of FOSS community
> > development have I seen any project that had problems with properly
> > using mailinglists.
>
> By deciding not to have a forum, you will loose some participants.
> And those
> who remain will have no problems. So, this argument is not a proof...

Show me a single succesfull opensource project which uses *both* mailing lists
and a forum *for development*. Just one.
So far the lack of proof is on your side of the argument.

> Well, I don't know how old you are but I did send my first e-mails
> approx.
> 1984 and wrote my first UNIX programs at that time. Nevertheless I would
> prefer a forum.

I was 5 years old in 1984, my first email account was a webmail account. I
never used the internet before grahical browsers existed. Nevertheless I
whould prefer a mailing list. So what?
If personal perference has to be the norm you will get all kind of things, but
never a community. I'd use the forum if that was where the action was. But
i'd *never* try to split up an active development community over the choice
of communication medium.

> That might be an unwise decision - but you are the decision taker :-)

Thats a very wise decision. There is *no* reason at all to split the
developers into two groups, forum users and mail users. That is a very stupid
idea. Regardless of wich is supposedly better you should never split a
community over several different communication mediums, and you should not
try to radically change the medium either. For that reason alone Harald is
right to oppose against forums (for developer usage, that is).

AVee
(I've said it, I won't be dragged into discussions about this)