At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Fri Aug 24 17:14:54 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 16:59 +0200, wim delvaux wrote:
> HI all,
>
> Champion of open source and user of familiar on Ipaq when time was new, i
> wonder if it was such a good idea to rewrite from scratch an entire GUI
> system.
>
> Knowing that the device is now about 6 months late and looking at the overall
> stability and completeness of the GUI (List of issues is still long perhaps
> too long ?) I wonder if it would not have been a better solution to put
> things like QTopia on the phone. I mean, how long will it still take to get
> things to this level
> (http://trolltech.com/products/qtopia/learnmore/screenshots4/?searchterm=screenshots) ?

To be honest, I think we are quite close already but you really need to
be more specific about what you mean.

[...]
> For me, the free community does not need (really) a new GUI library.  It needs
> a good phone ! Our interest lies in having a nicely featured device available
> so that we hackers can release our creativity and write apps that users like
> and not - yet again - re-invent the wheel to start all over again.  And for
> what ? For a theme ? For true GPL ? ...

The primary aim of the OpenMoko project and the Neo1973 is to create a
software platform and a device that are entirely Free in the spirit of
the Free Software movement. See
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html> for a definition of this. I
don't think we need "just another phone", we need one that embraces the
ideals of the Free Software movement. This way we will be creating
something truly unique and valuable.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/