At the risk of being flamed : State of software

wim delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Fri Aug 24 17:53:43 CEST 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007 17:26:28 Tim Shannon wrote:
> They aren't reinventing the wheel, it's GTK.  And as far as GPL not being
> important, I think you miss the point of the entire project.  Open source
> isn't just about free software, it's about a free community.

GTK ? GTK is a graphics library on top of which you desperately need a higher
level of abstraction (e.g. WxWidgets).  Also GTK AFAIK does not really define
a style guide.  Look at OpenMoko and look at Gnome or at WxWidgets : same GTK
lib but completely different programming model.

Also what is a 'free community' ? I think it means that anybody can do what he
wants without limitations.  Well, guess what, there are ALWAYS limitations
perhaps not of the software kind but perhaps on (percieved) stability
side ...

Comparing with QTopia, if you look at all what has been acchieved with KDE :
K3B, Amarok etc etc all great apps using a 'non free' but freely available
high quality library...

CU