At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Fri Aug 24 21:39:40 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 17:49 +0200, wim delvaux wrote:
> On Friday 24 August 2007 17:14:54 Thomas Wood wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 16:59 +0200, wim delvaux wrote:
> > > HI all,
[...]
> > To be honest, I think we are quite close already but you really need to
> > be more specific about what you mean.
>
> Well I just flashed with the latest 0813 release and beside looking great,
> there is not much yet that is ready : no bluetooth, no gprs, no contacts,
> phone working a bit, no mail, suspend resume not OK yet, crashes etc etc.

I think you must have missed something - the dialer and contacts is
definitely working fairly well. You should make sure you update your
software (ipkg update && ipkg upgrade) as we have made even more
significant progress in fixing bugs in the last week.

Bluetooth and mail I can't comment on since I'm not involved in those
areas.

[...]
> > The primary aim of the OpenMoko project and the Neo1973 is to create a
> > software platform and a device that are entirely Free in the spirit of
> > the Free Software movement. See
> > <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html> for a definition of this. I
> > don't think we need "just another phone", we need one that embraces the
> > ideals of the Free Software movement. This way we will be creating
> > something truly unique and valuable.
>
> But wat IS free ? Personally the 'free' as defined by Trolltech : free for
> free soft, payed for soft that will be sold, sounds more 'reasonable' then
> free and you cannot make money out of your application.  For me freedom means
> I have the possibility to do what I want with it providing I do not harm the
> rights of others.  I think the freedom of QTopia (compare it to KDE) is good
> enough.  It gives me lots of freedom and If I make a buck out of what I do
> with their work I need to pay them a buck too ...

Maybe good enough for you, but why should we compromise? We can't start
a revolution based on compromises!

Regards,

Thomas