At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sat Aug 25 00:46:04 CEST 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Tilman Baumann wrote:
> Am 24.08.2007 um 21:03 schrieb Lorn Potter:
> > Tilman Baumann wrote:
> >> I like Qtopie too. Especially considering how well they could
> >> handle embedded guis for years.
> >> But in reallity. qt and c++ is a limitation. Look how far Opie was
> >> evolved during the last years and how god id was from the
> >> beginning. But it still was more or less insignificant.
> >
> > Opie is but a fork of Qtopia. Using Qt and c++ is hardly a
> > limitation. Take a look at KDE.
>
> The limitation is that you have to use it. If you like it or not.
> Or in other words, you don't code for the project unless you are a QT
> nerd.

Likewise any project/language.

> >> Then look how far Nokia got with theyr maemo gtk modell. Within
> >> half a year they had a big community and lots of great programms
> >> ported.
> >
> > Thats more because they had some cool hardware. Meamo is not all
> > that free - it contains proprietary parts, which is a consequence
> > of using LGPL, which is why Amgstrom does not build flash images
> > for these devices.
>
> I'm not talking bout freedom.
>
> I'm talking about easy porting and giving a community the tools they
> are used to use. Sure QT is cool, kde is cool and qtopia is cool.
> But you limit yourself to the fraction of delopers who care about QT.
>
> Openmoko (and maemo) it is more or less, take one of millions of gtk
> programms kick it through the compiler and run it.

Millions is a bit far fetched. But the same holds true for Qt apps.

> And if you like it
> usable, replce some gtk widgets.

That's more like it. Desktop usability does not translate to mobile phones so
even if there were millions of desktop apps to choose from, work has to be
done making it for a small screen/touchscreen/ mobile phone.

> As i said. Give me qtopia on the Neo, i would like it.
> But i can certainly see why his was not choosen as default. And i'm
> happy with that decision.

Personally, I don't. but I am biased.