At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Sun Aug 26 16:32:03 CEST 2007

On Sunday 26 August 2007 00:54:48 Lorn Potter wrote:

> OpenMoko Neo is a 'free' phone, why would you want to put commercial
> proprietary software on it? I thought the point of it was to get away from
> closed source/commercial/proprietary apps.  If I minded that, I would just
> use a Symbian or Windows Mobile phone as apps for those abound.

Largely because you don't get any useable open source licensed GPL maps.
Furthermore, the whole point of being open means to have the freedom to run
whatever you want...

> > To get
> > phone functionality of Qtopia
>
> well, who knows.. if enough people email Trolltech... that could change.
>
> > OpenMoko company would have to pay for
> > commercial Qtopia Phone or wrote whole phone subsystem from scratch as
> > there is no phone functionality in Qtopia4/GPL.
>
> Better than writing the whole shebang from scratch. Why not start with
> something that is 95% finished, mature, stable and tested.

How about Trolltech ports Qtopia GPL to the Neo *themselves*? That would prove
that it's easy enough (heck you could count the hours of work included and
write up some whitepaper touting how portable it is) and people could chose
themselves.  It would also mean that people get to try Qtopia on a reasonably
priced phone!

Disclaimer: I use KDE everyday and I think it's by far the best desktop
environment out there and a lot of that is closely related to Qt being a very
good toolkit, so I'm not at all opposed to Qt, quite the opposite really and
I also understand why Qt can't be LGPL.