Yet another finger keybord (gui mock-up).

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Tue Aug 28 02:05:56 CEST 2007

Jonathon Suggs skrev:
> Lars Hallberg wrote:
>> You mean 8 drag directions + just press+relese... 9 functions per key.
>> Might work. Guess testing on the device is how to find out. But 6x5
>> keyboard with 8 drag directions give:
>>
>> 6 9 9 9 9 6
>> 6 9 9 9 9 6
>> 4 6 6 6 6 4
>>
>> A total of 128 'keys'... Good *if* it works :-)
> As someone who used MessageEase, which is what I think this topic is
> somewhat related to, my opinion is below.
> http://www.exideas.com/ME/faq.html

Yes... That look like very similar ideas... at least when You make it
square and 8 drag directions.

I made a 6x3 (and 5x3) keyboard test app in PyGTK.... Have no clue how
much it takes to run it on a neo... On my desktop it runs anyway and it
gives the impression all 9 functions may be useful on all keys. Source at:

   http://www.micropp.se/openmoko/res/keys.py

Just draws a keyboard and accept tap/drag.... Do not pop up any splash,
You have to drag in the blind. Short drags optimised for up/down
left/right... Make diagonal drag longer to be reliable. Drags longer
than 200px cansel the input... Drag shorter then 10 count as tap.

Should be only save and run with python if You got PyGTK up to date. Its
fairly easy to experiment with the key layout. The code is a bit ugly thou.

> 6 9 6 X
> 6 9 6 X
> 4 6 4 X
> X X X X
>
> I guess what I am trying to say is that less is more, and that is even
> more so with buttons competing for screen real estate.

4x4 is actually more keys then 5x3. If going this slim I would prefer
4x3 and use one multifunction key for all the modes. 4x4 will use up
soooo much screen.

My demo is 'made' for testing 6x3 and 5x3... but it would be trivial to
test 4x3 too.... just change the cols variable at the start, and maybe
increase scale to make the keys more square... And change the layout if
You want a space and enter key.

If anyone actually can run this on a neo, it would be god the hear some
feedback.

/LaH