Release schedule GTA-2

Marco Barreno barreno at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 28 02:49:19 CEST 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:54:34AM +0000, thus spake Lalo Martins:
> Also spracht Luca Dionisi (Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:04:39 +0200):
> > On 8/19/07, Harald Welte
> >> depends on what you think.  GTA02 phase-1 will probably be october.
> >
> > What is GTA02 phase-1 ?
>
> Better wait for someone from OpenMoko to answer, but while they don't,
> here's what I understood from Sean's wonderful presentation in Beijing
> last week:
>
> phase 0: "building the community" -- releasing specs, emulator, etc
> phase 1: limited (developer) sales -- beta, if you wish
> phase 2: open commercial sales
>
> And those three apply for any past or future OpenMoko product.

Right--the phase is tied to the progress of the software and the
readiness of the phone.  The same three phases will apply to future
devices.  GTA01 vs. GTA02 is an issue of hardware platform: GTA01 is a
certain set of hardware components, and GTA02 is the next revision of
the hardware.  So GTA02 phase-1 is the next version of the hardware
(with wi-fi, better battery, etc.) but still in the development stage
where it is aimed at developers.

I hope that clarifies things.  I'm not from FIC and I'm repeating here
from memory what Sean and Harald have said in other emails, so also I
hope I didn't get any details wrong.  ;)

Marco

--
"The function of the imagination is not to make strange things
settled, so much as to make settled things strange."