At the risk of being flamed : State of software

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Tue Aug 28 16:39:54 CEST 2007

On Monday 27 August 2007 19:23:26 Attila Csipa wrote:
> On Monday 27 August 2007 15:32, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> > No it's more like MS telling Intel to port Windows to the new processor
> > for them. You want to sell something on a platform? Well if nobody wants
> > to port it there, you should do it yourself or don't do it, but then you
> > don't get to bug others how they should use it there.
>
> A slight logic error is that, to my knowledge, Trolltech never expressed
> that me, you, the OpenMoko team or anybody else MUST port Qtopia to the
> Neo1973 (TT must be chuckling quite a bit by now).

No they didn't. But TT employees keep pushing the idea at the very least. This
is their good right, but I reserve mine to call them on it ;)

> The difference is, that
> since there IS a GPL version of Qtopia (as opposed to a GPL version of
> Windows) anybody, me, you, Joe GNU Coder, anybody interested could
> potentially do it EVEN if there is no commercial interest for Trolltech to
> do so (which was the original claim - since TT developed Qtopia 'they'
> should port it to the Neo, 'we' should stick to GTK and the original
> framework).

That's true. But I actually think it could make sense for TT to do so (it's
sort of why Sun always had a X86 port of Solaris laying around, partly so
people could try it on hardware they already have and get familiar with it).
I don't think the installed base of Greenphones is ever gonna be big, whereas
GTA02 might get a few (tens of?) thousands devices shipped...