Convince me NOT to cancel my order.

alan at rotorgraphics.com alan at rotorgraphics.com
Tue Aug 28 22:43:21 CEST 2007

Just a status update here:

I emailed orders at openmoko.com and Jouston was kind enough to respond
promptly.  (Thank-you!) Basically, I asked to have my GTA01 back-order
cancelled if they did not have them stateside by September 10th.  Jouston
replied that they would not available until the 20th and promptly cancelled
my order for me.

It simply made NO SENSE to me to keep open an order for the GTA01 if the
GTA02 will follow within 60 to 90 days.  The Wi-Fi feature is an important
enough addition to wait for.

Until then, I have ordered an iPhone and will do my best to avoid bricking
it while I try my hand at unlocking it to work on T-Mobile's network.  Yes,
it lacks the AGPS I need for some of the geospace-aware apps that I would
like to work on, but it will be interesting to study the interface design
up close.

Also, while I'm at it (and I have your attention), there are a few
horifically basic handset design issues that need to be addressed in future
FIC/OpenMoko hardware designs that looking at the iPhone makes painfully
obvious:

1) Shape.  The hemisphere on the bottom of the GTA01/02 phone will not
allow the phone to remain upright in a breast pocket.  It will always cant
to one side or the other.  The bottom needs to be pretty much squared off.

2) Touch-Screen recess.  The bezel height around the touch screen needs to
be cut down to no more than 1mm so that the maximum touch screen finger use
utility is preserved.

If these have been mentioned before on the list or the wiki, well, just add
my voice to the choir.

Doing my best to not sound "Pissed off" or "Disgruntled" here...

Alan