Community Update

Jeremiah Flerchinger jeremiah.flerchinger at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 06:31:19 CET 2007

Standard Precision Service (SPS) for GPS is open to the general public
and all information related to it should be unclassified, although some
is For Official Use Only (FOUO).  Pres Bill Clinton made a Presidential
Decree, when he was in office, that gave undiluted precision of SPS to
the public.  SPS is presented in C/A code, which is a pseudo-random
code, on the L1 band and is separate from military & Precise Position
Service (PPS).   As long as only SPS and C/A code is used there
/*should*/ be no problem.

The only possible hang-up I can think of is there /*may*/ be a rule that
imposes an altitude that consumer gps devices must fail to output
positioning data above... but I can't remember.  Also a copy of the C/A
code or the design of the Feedback Registers that generate the C/A code
would have to be obtained.  That should be public information though.

Any GPS radio used should probably be able to also receive on the L2
band, in case we decide to try and implement our own tropospheric
compensation algorithms to improve precision.  That isn't too big a deal
though, because nav & almanac data would be good enough for most cases.

-Jeremiah