Example of accelerometers utility

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Dec 3 19:33:03 CET 2007

On 2 Dec 2007, at 15:42, Steven Le Roux wrote:

> Here is a video which shows some applications for accelerometers in
> a current phone use:
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWc-j4Xs5_w

I _love_ the ball-bearing inbox and the way that a message from your
g/f might have a different timbre from one from your bank. That feels
VERY innovative to me, and more than compensates for the stupid name
(Shroogle? WTF?) and the dull video.

ISTM the problem with accelerator-UI applications is that it's
difficult - if not impossible? - to convey more than one kind of
information.
When I pick the phone up & shake it, how does it know whether I want
to rattle my inbox or hear my battery-level in splashiness?

One can perhaps distinguish two or three requests by holding down a
button & shaking, touching the screen & shaking.. umm... tapping a
button releasing & shaking, tapping the screen & shaking... but I
think we quickly run out of actions. Of course, if we determine that
there are no more than three or five kinds of information we might
possibly wish to represent audibly then I guess that's not a problem.

Stroller.