Development env *on* the neo?

Joshua Layne joshua at willowisp.net
Wed Dec 5 07:00:19 CET 2007

First, while I have done basically what you are talking about, I am now a
believer in cross compile environments, even with all their pain.  Several
years ago, I built roadmap-gtk2 on my h2200 ipaq because I couldn't then
get the cross compile environment set up.  It took over a day and locked
the system up more then once (it actually elapsed over 3 days).  The same
build takes about 15 minutes on my Epia MII 1.2GHz desktop (and that isn't
a _fast_ system - just quiet :)

Lars Hallberg wrote:
> Shawn Rutledge skrev:
>> On Dec 4, 2007 7:13 PM, Lars Hallberg <lah at micropp.se> wrote:
>>
>>> My plan was to mount the sd card as /dev and use 'ipkg -d /dev' to
>>> install all dev related.
>>> But I'm not sure about all needed to tie it all
>>> up (PATH, lsconfig etc).
>>
>> Maybe ipkg -d takes care of some of the work for you, but I haven't
>> tried lately (seems like something was not quite right when I tried it
>> on the zaurus a while back).

ipkg-link (from ipkg-utils) does what you want (and is what I used).  I
don't know how available it is in the current images - you may need to
build it yourself.  It can bork your system a bit if you don't know what
you are doing (your system becomes dependent on that SD card, basically)
but when set up properly - it allows you to do all this stuff pretty
seemlessly.

ipkg -d by itself does nothing except install the package to that location
- if it is a library or anything else that needs to be found in a system
path, you either have to set up all the symlinks manually, or you have to
use ipkg-link.

you can install everything you want to the card (provided they are not
dependent on each other) and then run 'ipkg-link $card' (whatever your card
is) and it will link everything found on the card.

YMMV, you should be able to find packages for most if not all of what you
need in the way of libraries, compilers, etc...

Rgds,
josh