usb network dongle (was Re: dhcp on usb0)

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 18:15:01 CET 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> > The USB connector on the Neo can be switched from client to host
> > mode, but
> > last I heard (some time ago now) the code to do the switching
> > hadn't been
> > implemented.
>
> Thats very interesting - if anyone has any technical details on how
> this works I'd like to hear about it because there are USB devices
> (MIDI interface) I'd very much like to get working with my neo if I
> can ..

Just found this - looks like there's now a patch
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_USB_host

> > >You also need the host mode cable which IIRC only comes with the
> >
> > developers' version, or you can make one yourself. Then you either
> > need
> > self-powered devices, a self-powered hub or a cable mod to provide
> > the 5V
> > because the GTA01 can't provide the power for devices.
>
> Okay, I have two advanced developers kits (with boards), but I don't
> have any special cable .. or do I?  How does it work?

Sean's 'New Oceans' announcement on 27/06/2007 said the dev kit would include
a USB host mode cable that wouldn't be included with the base model. This
doesn't appear in the specs at openmoko.com though, so perhaps they never
shipped them. See the link above for instructions on a DIY cable.