Community update: GSM firmware, 850MHz experiment, GTA02 progress

Richard Reichenbacher richard5 at email.arizona.edu
Mon Dec 10 09:03:56 CET 2007

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia poniedziałek, 10 grudnia 2007, Richard Reichenbacher napisał:
>

>> I am a student at the University of Arizona and work for the IT
>> department.  We have one of the worlds largest Cisco Radius wifi setups
>> in the world.  Our main wifi network uses wpa enterprise with peap
>> authentication and the equifax secure certificate for loging in.
>> Currently, we are unable to find a cell phone that will work with our
>> network.  None of them support wpa enterprise with peap authentication.
>> Is there any chance that the GTA02 will support this?
>>

> For connecting to WPA networks WPA Supplicant [1] is used. Currently it
> supports few EAP-PEAP modes:
>
> EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2 (both PEAPv0 and PEAPv1)
> EAP-PEAP/TLS (both PEAPv0 and PEAPv1)
> EAP-PEAP/GTC (both PEAPv0 and PEAPv1)
> EAP-PEAP/OTP (both PEAPv0 and PEAPv1)
> EAP-PEAP/MD5-Challenge (both PEAPv0 and PEAPv1)
>
> If you are able to connect to that network with Linux laptop then you
> should be able to connect with GTA02.
>
> I do not know does WiFi driver was tested with encryption yet.
>
> 1. http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

We have been able to connect perfectly with any distro and
Network-Manager.  It's actually much easier to do it in Linux than in
Windows.  The issue is that most companies don't see wpa-enterprise as a
necessity for a cell phone.  Unfortunately our setup is become very
popular among other college campuses and wifi capable cell phones are
becoming more popular among college students.