What to use while waiting of v2?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Mon Dec 17 07:51:48 CET 2007

Am 16.12.2007 um 23:38 schrieb Marcin Juszkiewicz:

> Dnia niedziela, 16 grudnia 2007, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller napisał:
>> Am 16.12.2007 um 21:54 schrieb Marcin Juszkiewicz:
>
>>> Any recent Windows Mobile PDA then.
>
>> Fortunaltely, there is no need to do such a strange move for a
>> Mac&Linux addict...
>>
>> There is the Sharp Zaurus which is amongst the best PDAs out there.
>
> Man... I had all models of Sharp Zaurus palmtops in hands. Let see:
>
> SL-5000/5500/5600 we will ignore as they have crappy screen
> SL-6000 is too bulky
> c700 has slow CPU and only 32M ram
> c750/c760/c860/sl-7500 have nice video acceleration under Ångström
> but are
>   available only from second hand
> c1000/c3000/c3100/c3200 are faster and have USB Host functionality

And are still available (C1000/C3200).

> But they all lack any wireless connectivity (which you can add via
> CF or
> USB but it adds to size), each of available ones (c1000/3x00) is huge

Not much. There are Bluetooth cards that do not even stick out and a
WLAN card add less than 1cm.

> compared to today palmtops. And it has so split community that getting

With what do you compare? With QVGA models without keyboard?

If I compare with e.g. an Acer n30 it is half as thick but has 90% of
the
area. But only one SD slot. No CF. No additional battery, No clamshell,
no keyboard.

> support starts to be hard.

There is IMHO only one community: www.oesf.org and there are still
enough users out there. And, there are tons of pages found by Google.

I still do not have seen any QWERTY PDA that is really better (the
N810 may be).