Neo unusable for playing ogg

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 20:15:08 CET 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 9:51 AM, Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
> Nicolas Linkert wrote:
> > today I copied a number of ogg files onto the Neo and started playing
> > them with the Media Player. The result was very disappointing, since
> > there was a constant skipping noticeable. Is this a known issue? I
> > haven't tried any mp3s, but I'll do that this evening.
>
> You'll definitely need to ensure you use the integer libraries/version
> with any player.  e.g. ogg123.  Same with MP3, e.g, Madplay.
> Both perform very well on ARM. I don't know what the OpenMoko default
> "Media player" is, but it sounds like it needs some work along these
> lines.

I tried installing the ipkgs for ogg-lib, vorbis-lib and vorbis-tools
and run ogg123 from the command line, without X running.  It's taking
between 75-80% CPU according to top.  So there isn't much headroom for
GUI updating.  Well it's a 192kbps encoded file...

I'm not sure offhand how to tell whether /usr/lib/libogg.so is the
tremor code or whether it uses floating-point math.