A community site on open mobile devices in planning stages

Danijel Orsolic libervis at libervis.com
Thu Feb 1 18:23:34 CET 2007

Greetings everyone

The ideas behind OpenMoko as well as the phone itself excite me. I believe this project and the community which is being gathered around it will indeed stir a new revolution in the mobile segment of the IT industry. Mobile devices are in a nutshell not much different from our PCs. They are digital devices with a processor, memory and a storage space running software. They are devices we payed for and hence we deserve the right to control it fully, meaning we need the right to control what is running on it.

This is a perfect extension on the Free Software Movement and the ecosystem it has created around the GNU/Linux OS.

I am the owner of the Libervis Network (http://network.libervis.com), an emerging web publishing entity with a goal of promoting digital freedoms making succesful business while doing and supporting the right things. We currently have two sites, Nuxified.org and Libervis.com. Since recently we are planning a launch of a third one.

And this third site is what I wanted to talk to you about. It is going to be a community site that will provide the general population with news from the world of open mobile devices and be a place (a forum) for people to discuss these devices, from technical issues to general and maybe even philosophical issues. Since OpenMoko is probably the most promising of the devices that fall in this category it will most prominently support OpenMoko phones. The basic criteria is that the device can run Free Software, such as GNU/Linux and that it allows the user to change what is installed. If it is based on Open Hardware specifications, even better!

We have not picked a name (and domain) for this project yet so this is also an opportunity for everyone on this list to suggest it.

But you can also make other suggestions and I will try to take all of them in consideration. We hope to launch this site in the time frame between February 11 and March 11, the time of the Phase 0 of the OpenMoko project.

Thank you
Danijel Orsolic
http://network.libervis.com