Tinymail on it?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Feb 2 06:12:25 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 01:56 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> I already asked it to some internal E-mail address, the reaction back
> then was positive but no real certainties.
>
> Is there interest from the OpenMoko team for bringing tinymail to the
> device? (http://tinymail.org)
>
> I've been reading the discussions about push e-mail, and that idea is
> all nice and stuff. But you'll still need an actual client to display
> the e-mails themselves.

Philip, this would be great. You should hop over toe the openmoko-devel
mailing list to discuss more. There is discussion about an integrating
messaging app. Tinymail is great, uses evolution data server, and could
hopefully be adapted to the openmoko platform.

> Nevertheless am I of course interested in whatever the final decision on
> push E-mail will be.
>
> I read how people where suggesting to use the newer IMAP IDLE capability
> for this. I would like to point out, however, that not yet all IMAP
> servers support this. Nevertheless is support for IDLE being planned in
> tinymail. (Condstore, STARTTLS and Binary are already implemented by the
> way).
>
> I very recently started playing a little bit with the SyncML API, and
> since it's not very difficult to get something basic working I might
> implement some support for this sooner or later too.

Yes, this would be amazingly stellar for mobile apps. It appears that
messaging is a big missing piece right now, so tinymail with some
extensions would be an amazing opportunity in the messaging arena.

What is the current extensibility of tinymail? How could we go about
adding SMS support to tinymail to treat it like a first class piece of
mail?

Jon

--
Jon Phillips