Voice over GPRS?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Feb 2 18:31:59 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> > AFAIK, only T-Mobile did that, and they removed that clause a few months ago.
>
> Eplus does have that clause too.

Ahh, not too familiar with the German markets.

> Plus running standard VoIP protocols like SIP and friends over a NAT
> firewall that is not cooperating is not possible anyway. So you would
> need to add a tunnel to some endpoint on the Internet, and add that
> latency to the bad latency of GPRS/UMTS :(

that's why our firmware will include both IPsec (with NAT-Traversal)
as well as OpenVPN. If that wouldn't work often enough, we'll try and
do encapsulation over port 443.

But yes, guaranteed in-order delivery of telco networks is really not a very
nice basis to run UDP (or TCP) over. Guess the telco world still believes
in the OSI model :(

Paul