Crytped calls through 9600Baud GSM-data connections?

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Fri Feb 2 18:44:44 CET 2007

Salve Paul!

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007, Paul Wouters wrote:
> that's why our firmware will include both IPsec (with NAT-Traversal)
> as well as OpenVPN. If that wouldn't work often enough, we'll try and
> do encapsulation over port 443.

Did you discussed OTP, using less mobile device batterypower to add
to the voicestream to build an encrypted connection between on users
mobil and his homeserver?

I thought about that maybe GSM-data connections with 9600Baud would
be interesting:
-would piping through such a connection possible without TCP or other
 overhead?

Then our old GSM with RS232 could becomme the GSM Gateway at home
and for both this gatway and our Neo we would choose a cheap prepaid
contract that allows internal connections for 4 Cent/minute.

I couldn't tested if the new Aldi-talk tariff allows
1.) dataconnections
2.) dataconnections from mobile to mobile
3.) this data connection would also count with only 4 Cent/minute.

This GSM data connection is used by every commercial cryptophone
and avoid the delays of GPRS...

Can you tell something about his?

Greetings,
rob

PS: I made advertisement on this list for your presentation in Berlin,
    and that this video is no online - but good that mention that it
    is online again - it worth for the most here on the list to see it.