Voice over GPRS?

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Feb 2 19:20:26 CET 2007

pe, 2007-02-02 kello 18:28 +0100, Paul Wouters kirjoitti:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Mikko J Rauhala wrote:
>
> > Of course, you can make a GSM data call (I presume) and thus reserve
>
> That's what www.cryptophone.de does to avoid latency issues. Some networks
> block mobile to mobile data calls though.

Righto, so somebody's doing it already on free software. Good for us
all :)

> > (Also, _this_ is how you can accomplish a proper encrypted phone call
> > using the GSM network with Neo, if you're into security and don't mind
> > it costing a bit.
>
> It doesnt need to cost a bit.

I was referring to simply that the carrier will likely charge extra for
data calls (in comparison to voice calls). Though now that I check the
figures, they _have_ come down at least here since last I checked. Which
was a while ago.

My particular provider does still seem to charge sizable extra for
receiving a data call, though not for making one, leastways a 9k6 one.
(Which immediately springs into mind that one needs to support nudging a
phone to come online and connect with the secure VOIP service using a
single-ring call from a known caller ID. This would save on data call
reception charges and the particular signaling method would be free
too... Didn't yet check to see if you already support something like
this :)

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>