Voice over GPRS?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Feb 2 20:51:24 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Mikko Rauhala wrote:

> > > Of course, you can make a GSM data call (I presume) and thus reserve
> >
> > That's what www.cryptophone.de does to avoid latency issues. Some networks
> > block mobile to mobile data calls though.
>
> Righto, so somebody's doing it already on free software. Good for us
> all :)

cryptophone's phone cost 1500 euro. It's not free software. The source has
been published for peer review, but you're not allowed to use it on your own phone.

> I was referring to simply that the carrier will likely charge extra for
> data calls (in comparison to voice calls). Though now that I check the
> figures, they _have_ come down at least here since last I checked. Which
> was a while ago.

Well, most offer a $100/month or so flatrate. It's expensive, but if all your
calls are going through a cheap SIP provider and your asterisk to your GPRS
connection, your *voice* calls would go down to $0/month. Then, $100 for
unlimited voice calls isnt that expensive.

Paul