[OT] Re: data encryption + Biometric security

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Sat Feb 3 15:05:31 CET 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 01:45:55PM -0500, Heilpern, Mark wrote:
> Unfortunately I couldn't provide 100% open source on the driver or the
> application libraries.

That's not the point.  Just send your device[s] to the Berlin CCC (feel
free to route it via me).  A proprietary windows app for
enrollment+verification is fine.

We're more than happy to see how we can do something about it.

So far, many capacitive and infrared sensors could be fooled.  I don't
think the CCC has looked at SAW and related technology.

In any case, to get back to the Neo1973, or even future phones:  I don't
think that there are many sensors that fulfill the following criteria

1) full hardware docs (may be under NDA, but allowing GPL software
   development)
2) small enough for a mobile device
3) cheap enough
4) not easy to fool

You can probably have two or maybe three conditions fulfilled, but not
all of them.