Tinymail on it?

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Sun Feb 4 12:44:02 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 05:12 +0000, Jon Phillips wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 01:56 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > I already asked it to some internal E-mail address, the reaction back
> > then was positive but no real certainties.
> >
> > Is there interest from the OpenMoko team for bringing tinymail to the
> > device? (http://tinymail.org)
> >
> > I've been reading the discussions about push e-mail, and that idea is
> > all nice and stuff. But you'll still need an actual client to display
> > the e-mails themselves.
>

> Philip, this would be great. You should hop over toe the openmoko-devel
> mailing list to discuss more. There is discussion about an integrating
> messaging app. Tinymail is great, uses evolution data server, and could
> hopefully be adapted to the openmoko platform.

It looks like that mailing list is an invite-only one, or else isn't the
mailman on the server working correctly (I haven't yet received a
confirmation E-mail).

I'd be happy to join that mailing list and discuss the technical pieces
of messaging with you guys. Especially when it comes to RFC822 messages
(E-mails, MIME parts, etc etc) ...

> Yes, this would be amazingly stellar for mobile apps. It appears that
> messaging is a big missing piece right now, so tinymail with some
> extensions would be an amazing opportunity in the messaging arena.
>
> What is the current extensibility of tinymail? How could we go about
> adding SMS support to tinymail to treat it like a first class piece of
> mail?

... and of course also non-RFC822 messages and services that deliver
such messages to the software on the device. Although we will have to
check how we can blend-in such messages into the current API.

It might mean that I will have to make the current API more flexible,
maybe this can be solved internally within the implementations of that
API, etcetera ... ?

But I would be very happy to discuss this indeed. And I'm certainly
willing to actively change things in order to support SMS and MMS type
of messages.

--
Philip Van Hoof, software developer
home: me at pvanhoof dot be