Neo1973 video (was Re: What would be a realistic but challenging level for Bryce announced trophy money for video playback on the Neo1973? Re: h.264 format is now open?)

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Sun Feb 4 13:14:43 CET 2007

Mikko Rauhala wrote:
> la, 2007-02-03 kello 14:47 +0100, Harald Welte kirjoitti:
>> Also, the 770 has a landscape display.  We have a portrait display.  The
>> S3C2410 cannot rotate the image, so you would have to rotate every frame
>> in software, too!
>
> Modifying a player to render the image to be rotated in the first place
> shouldn't be hard, though perhaps any straightforward way to do that
> would degrade cache behaviour? (A wild guess.)
>
> Also, as re-encoding files spesifically for the Neo would be quite ok
> with me, rotating at that point would be quite a workable solution also.
> (I'll add that I don't necessarily expect the Neo1973 to play back
> decent video and won't blame FIC if it doesn't, but I'll sure _try_
> it ;)

The comparison I'm using internally - Pentium 100, just about will
manage that.
I do expect to need to pick codecs very carefully - there won't be much
spare.
Rotating internally may be the straw that breaks the camels back.
OTOH - going down to 12fps isn't _that_ visible on this size of screen,
and that helps a fair bit - as does reducing the sound bandwidth, or
going mono.
_simple_ audio codecs - such as NICAM 728 equivalent - which is 10 bit,
stereo companded from 14 bits, at 32Khz - may even be appropriate in
some cases - to reduce the load on the CPU, and trade off for bandwidth.