Tinymail on it?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Feb 4 20:06:44 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 12:44 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 05:12 +0000, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 01:56 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > > I already asked it to some internal E-mail address, the reaction back
> > > then was positive but no real certainties.
> > >
> > > Is there interest from the OpenMoko team for bringing tinymail to the
> > > device? (http://tinymail.org)
> > >
> > > I've been reading the discussions about push e-mail, and that idea is
> > > all nice and stuff. But you'll still need an actual client to display
> > > the e-mails themselves.
> >

> > Philip, this would be great. You should hop over toe the openmoko-devel
> > mailing list to discuss more. There is discussion about an integrating
> > messaging app. Tinymail is great, uses evolution data server, and could
> > hopefully be adapted to the openmoko platform.
>
> It looks like that mailing list is an invite-only one, or else isn't the
> mailman on the server working correctly (I haven't yet received a
> confirmation E-mail).
>
> I'd be happy to join that mailing list and discuss the technical pieces
> of messaging with you guys. Especially when it comes to RFC822 messages
> (E-mails, MIME parts, etc etc) ...
>
> > Yes, this would be amazingly stellar for mobile apps. It appears that
> > messaging is a big missing piece right now, so tinymail with some
> > extensions would be an amazing opportunity in the messaging arena.
> >
> > What is the current extensibility of tinymail? How could we go about
> > adding SMS support to tinymail to treat it like a first class piece of
> > mail?
>
> ... and of course also non-RFC822 messages and services that deliver
> such messages to the software on the device. Although we will have to
> check how we can blend-in such messages into the current API.
>
> It might mean that I will have to make the current API more flexible,
> maybe this can be solved internally within the implementations of that
> API, etcetera ... ?
>
> But I would be very happy to discuss this indeed. And I'm certainly
> willing to actively change things in order to support SMS and MMS type
> of messages.

Oh, this is great news indeed. I installed the Contacts and Dates apps
from openhanded with no troubles, but when I tried to install Tinymail,
I need the customized libraries. Are there instructions for how to do a
build, where to find the updated libraries, and without breaking my old
system's libraries ;)

Current OpenMoko developers, could you comment on the state of messaging
on OpenMoko and if this is a good direction to go on merging these
message types behind this soon-to-become handheld standard mail app? :)

The tinymail, dates and contacts applications are awesome, well
supported by opened hand, nokia/maemo and others. Thus, it seems logical
to jump on the bandwagon to gain group benefits and to have an upstream
source for email...

Jon

--
Jon Phillips