Missed call communication protocol

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Wed Feb 7 14:36:49 CET 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 12:26, wim delvaux wrote:
> If this works I vote for it (for as long as it will work ...)  However
> receiving SMS is also free no ? couldn't you use that ?

You usually pay to send SMSses. Of course some calling plans entitle you to X
free speech minutes, and X free SMSses, but at the end of the day you are
still paying for them.

If we keep the protocol light enough that it can function by using the Missed
Call feature, then we can use the same protocol to do lightweight messaging
over GPRS, Bluetooth, Wifi or SMS, whatever transport mode happens to be
available, falling back on the Missed Call feature if nothing else is
available.

In cases where SMS is free to send and receive , or you have unlimited GPRS,
you could configure openmoko to use those channels for sending its MCP
messages.

Richard