Neo Recycling Program (not too important, but something to think about...)

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Feb 11 04:54:32 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 20:08 -0600, Ryan Kline wrote:
> Being an Apple customer, I hate to buy Apple products because i know
> that my product will be updated very shortly after my purchase. With
> OpenMoko, I really, really, want the first generation Neo, but, Sean
> has already set a target release date for the 2nd generation of the
> phone. I am so conflicted. So, I propose a "Neo Recycling Program" in
> which any of the Neo phones could be returned to FIC/OpenMoko in
> exchange for the current generation of the phone. Of course, there
> would be a fee involved, based on the condition and life of the phone,
> but, you would still not have to pay the full price of the new phone.
> The old Neo's would then be refurbished and resold through FIC. Just
> something think about.

Recycling would be nice, and given the other recent assurance from Sean
(below) would be a good way for FIC to get more phones in the hands of
those who might have trouble with the $350 price tag, while allowing
early adopters to get the latest-greatest next-generation devices.

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 02:09 +0800, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
> I'll be talking more about this stuff in the coming months. I just don't
> want to say anything at this point. But don't worry about being an early
> adopter. If we come out with something cool we'll make sure you guys can
> get it at a discount if you already have a developers version.
>
> -Sean

So, how about a trade-up program?

Phil