T-Mobile finagling advice?

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Feb 11 14:27:58 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 23:04 -0700, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> > > Unfortunatly, It looks to me like T-Mobile is currently not interested in
> > > letting its pre-paid customers use GPRS to go anywhere outside their Silly
> > > T-Zones walled garden.
> >
> > Let me guess.
> > This contains such things as weather reports, news headlines, ringtones, ...
> > All available for a small per-use-fee?
>
> No I've got a Linux phone with Opera on it, and it works just fine on
> TMobile in the US to access any web site.  I'm guessing that since the
> phones they sell are locked down to just the TZones crap, that's why
> they offer such a low price for GPRS, because most users won't take
> much bandwidth.   But actually you can do anything that the phone will
> let you do.

That's good news; however, seems that T-Mobile could change that policy
if users do start using a lot of bandwidth.  Hope they and other
carriers see enough of a trend and market in new open-source and
open-design devices to support it rather than to build the garden wall
higher.

Phil