Perl or Python on openembedded?

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 15:26:07 CET 2007

On 2/12/07, Joshua Hoblitt <jhoblitt at ifa.hawaii.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 11:16:06AM +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> > Dnia sobota, 10 lutego 2007, Joshua Hoblitt napisa?:
> >
> > > Does anyone know if Perl or Python will build on openembbeded/ep93xx?
> >
> > Both languages are supported. Perl 5.8.7, Python 2.4.x
>
> That's great.  Is it reasonable to assume that either runtime is too
> large to fit in the phase 0's onboard flash?

I have used Python extensively in ARM based embedded systems -- it
works pretty well.  The packaging of Python in OpenEmbedded is very
granular:

PACKAGES="python-profile python-threading python-distutils
python-textutils python-codecs python-pickle python-datetime
python-core python-io python-compiler python-compression python-re
python-xmlrpc python-terminal python-email python-image
python-resource python-devel python-math python-hotshot
python-unixadmin python-tkinter python-gdbm python-fcntl
python-netclient python-pprint python-netserver python-curses
python-syslog python-html python-readline python-subprocess
python-pydoc python-logging python-mailbox python-xml python-mime
python-tests python-unittest python-stringold
python-lib-old-and-deprecated python-compile python-shell python-bsddb
python-mmap python-zlib python-db python-crypt python-idle python-lang
python-audio "

So, you just install what you need for your application.  For example,
to build an embedded web application framework
(http://bec-systems.com/web/content/view/46/), I needed about 2-3MB of
Python packages -- which should easily fit in flash.

Cliff