T-Mobile finagling advice?

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Mon Feb 12 17:41:03 CET 2007

* Ben Burdette <bburdette at comcast.net> [070210 19:47]:

> >>Unfortunatly, It looks to me like T-Mobile is currently not interested in
> >>letting its pre-paid customers use GPRS to go anywhere outside their Silly
> >>T-Zones walled garden.
> >
> >Let me guess.
> >This contains such things as weather reports, news headlines, ringtones, ...
> >All available for a small per-use-fee?
> >
> >Sigh.
> >They see GPRS as a profit source, to drive profit to their own partners.
> >Rather than a service to provide to users.
> >
> That's a depressing prospect.  All this openmoko and no web?  I wonder if cingular is any better...

This is on a prepaid T-Mobile in the USA. European prepaid SIMs seem
to support GPRS fine, albeit it's usually priced unattractivly. (The
only Austrian provider with a somehow "acceptable" prepaid tarif is
drei, which doesn't apply to the Neo, as they have only UMTS. All
other tarifs are in the  >5EUR area)

And yes, I find using prepaid sims a stupid idea anyways :)

Andreas