Installer Package OE.pkg for MacOS X?

Michael Dickens mdickens at nd.edu
Mon Feb 12 18:25:23 CET 2007

It is one of my goals to get OE running under OSX, in a fashion that
is repeatable most of the time by most folks.  That way one can do
the work on a PPC or Intel Mac, and not require a VM of any type.
This would be -good-, though the VM concept and implementation is
awesome IMHO.  In doing this for GNU Radio (getting the background
stuff and configuring the shell environment), I've found that 9/10
users can use my instructions successfully, but that last 1 has such
a messed up OSX install that things don't work correctly.  I'm sure
we can get to the same point for OE.

The instructions in http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/BuildOnOSX are
not complete IMHO ... but they're getting there; yes, I understand
them.  I'd use MacPorts (née DarwinPorts) since it's more complete
than Fink ... though right now some ports work while others don't;
seems like the transition to MacPorts isn't going too smoothly.  I've
submitted bug fixes for all of the background packages for OE ...
just waiting for those to be accepted.

I'm working on a shell script to get the background stuff done and
the local environment configured to use OE.  Once I get it to work
for me, I'll send it to OSX users who've expressed interest ... if
all goes well it will be Wed or Fri of this week.

Once the shell can be configured  correctly, then we can work on
getting a PKG or whatever.  One step at a time. - MLD