Still not getting it...(was: New Topic: Learning how to write for OpenMoko)

Michael Dickens mdickens at nd.edu
Mon Feb 12 21:04:05 CET 2007

> Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'd like to check it out,
> and
> possibly write a recipe for setting up in this.

Simplest: Setup the VM with Ubuntu 6.10; follow instructions on
OpenMoko wiki.  I don't think a special script will be very useful
here since there isn't much (if anything) to do beyond what's in the
Wiki.

NB: Make sure your VM's hard drive is big enough.  8 GB isn't.  40 GB
should be;)  Mine is currently at 8.09 GB (on OSX; 7.981 MB in 'df -
k') ... get it right the first time so that you don't have to deal
with creating a new virtual HD & getting the data copied, the HD
partitioned correctly, etc...

> Can you install any environment of your choice inside, or is it
> whatever it
> is?

Win/XP, Vista (Ultimate, but that's M$'s deal)
pretty much any Linux flavor
hacked OSX (OSX checks for "real" hardware)

> Have you set up OE under this? If you send me any rough notes you
> have (or
> post to the list) I'll test and write up a recipe.

Yes, I've successfully compiled 'nano' under OE/BB on an Ubuntu 6.10
VM running in Parallels on an Intel-iMac (c2d @ 2.16 GHz).  As I said
before, there really isn't much to it - just make sure the VM hard
drive is big enough ;)  I guess you can do screen shots if you want
to. - MLD