Sorry... Re: And please use a emailclients with working "Reference" Re: gmail users CC'ing

hank williams hank777 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 16:02:37 CET 2007

On 2/13/07, Robert Michel <openmoko at robertmichel.de> wrote:
> Salve hank!
>
> Thank you for your feedback ;)
>
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, hank williams wrote:
>
> > You are misinformed if you believe that gmail does not handle threads
> > properly.
> Maybe, it would be nice when other gmail users
> explain gmail users how to use gmail proper,
> instead  of that I have to inform myself about
> gmail.

That would assume there is some "improper" way that people are
handling gmail. I disagree.

> > In fact I think it is the best product on the market, free
> > or otherwise, for handling threads. The  problem which you are
> > referring to has nothing to do with gmail, but with the fact that some
> > people mistakenly delete the "re:" from the mail header when
> > responding.
>
> This is only a backup for threading mails - threading by subjects.
> The better way is threading with working "References" in the header.

hmm... guess those Google guys aren't smart enough to handle mail "the
better way". With your way, even if you change the subject it would be
part of the same thread. That would make for a really easy time
finding emails where you *meant* to change the subject and create a
new thread.

> Q: Is gmail killing this reference line in the header when the Subject
> does not begin with "re:"? Realy? Can you test this?
>
> BTW, it seems that e.g. Ryan is using "Apple Mail" as MUA.
> (Mail user agent = email client)
> AFAIK "Apple mail" can set "References" in the header.
>
> So the question stil is, what make the "References" missing
> for Ryan by using gmail.

Ahh... this is interesting - apple mail + gmail = problem

I have no idea since I use the web client.

Regards,
Hank