gmail users CC'ing

Alexandre Franke alexandre.franke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 16:26:50 CET 2007

On 2/13/07, Richard Bennett <richard.bennett at skynet.be> wrote:
> Why so many people who believe in the ideals put forward by the Neo/Openmoko
> project are happy to use Gmail astounds me... It's not because Google do the
> summer of code and have Chris Dibona and most of the talented OS developers
> on their staff that there is anything free or open about them. They'll own
> your mind if you let them.

I know you "mean it in the nicest possible way" as you say at the
bottom of your mail but this sounds rude to me.

> Anyway, aside from that minirant, is it possible when sending mail from Gmail
> to not CC loads of people in the meantime?
> I'm not sure if this is inherent to the way the gmail client works, but maybe
> someone could document on the wiki how gmail can be setup so it doesn't send
> everything double?

You can't default that behavior. You have to click Reply to all and
manually cut/paste the mailing list from CC to TO.

> I get CC's on mails I never sent, and it's not that big of a deal, but gets
> kind of annoying having loads of mails coming in twice.

Talking about smart mail client, some (e.g. Gmail) are able to see
when two mails are the same and make it appear only once.

> That's all meant in the nicest possible way, and if that's just the way Gmail
> works, then fine - I can live with it.

That's not Gmail specific. Many client don't offer a Reply to list
option. It is just more visible as there is quite a lot of gmail
users.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNU/Linux user #390077