And please use a emailclients with working "Reference" Re: gmail users CC'ing

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Feb 13 16:35:04 CET 2007

Salve Andrew!

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Andrew Turner wrote:

> As a Gmail user (all my emails route to Gmail), I found it the best
> because it is free, reliable, works on all my mobile devices, large
> storage, easy to use, good spam filtering, and has excellent
> threading.
>
> In fact, the only messages that become de-threaded are yours rob. Your
> habit of changing the subject line makes the email messages show up
> out of thread.

Then gmail hasn't excellent threading ;)
See our mailarchive:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-February/thread.html
It does not de-threading my messages :)

After 5 mails with the same subject - maybe with changing topic
it is hard work to find the right mail quickly - changing
the subject helps to choose if this mail worth to be read now
or later and makes it much more easier to refind interesting
mails - the subject should be meaningful.
To become ontopic to Openmoko - condsider using IMAP and
to descide to download a message for reading now - than
changing subjects does not only save time, it help to
save also money by being able choose to read the mail
now or later...
(By consider this, I should choose shorter subjects...*g*)

Threading by subject could be only a backup - the smart
way is use proper working reference and do threading based on
references in the header.

> Now, perhaps this is the fault of GMail - or the Mail list application
> that the OpenMoKo list is using. But it isn't nice, or professional,
> to disparage people (especially an obvious majority) just because of
> the email service they use.

You are right, I already ask pardon for the style of my mail
it was not respectfull.

But webmailer and services payed with adverticement and data mining
are still sub optimal solutions and IMHO provoking when they are
producing problems - e.g. based on that the users does known only
hotmail.com, AOL, gmail or outlook and does not know that there are
more and better solutions....

Sorry for my negaive style on this list,
it was not my intention to be agressive,
or unproductive...

rob