Sorry... Re: And please use a emailclients with working "Reference" Re: gmail users CC'ing

Reid Thompson Reid.Thompson at ateb.com
Tue Feb 13 19:24:26 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 12:00 -0500, hank williams wrote:
> On 2/13/07, Reid Thompson <Reid.Thompson at ateb.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 10:02 -0500, hank williams wrote:
> > > hmm... guess those Google guys aren't smart enough to handle mail "the
> > > better way". With your way, even if you change the subject it would be
> > > part of the same thread.
> > I believe that is proper --> to remain part of the same thread.  To
> > create a new thread, start with a new email -- do not reply to a current
> > thread with an altered subject.
> >

> Well, it depends on how you define "proper". Again, to me this is
> about user interface, and what is expected behavior. I dont think your
> average (non-programmer) would think that a
>  new message with a

a new message no, which is what I said to do if you want to create a new
thread -- but the conversation was about replying to a previous message
and changing the subject expecting it to start a new thread -- which
does not work.

> different subject would be in the same thread.

My gmail account does this, so anyone using gmail should expect it after
seeing it occur -- see below.
Replies to emails with changed subject show in the same
thread/conversation, not new or separate ones.

>  More importantly, the
> interface revolution in gmail is the grouping of threads by subject.
Not based on what I just did ( subject threading may be a fallback
mechanism as mentioned earlier -- evolution has this 'option' also).

> This is one of the reasons that so many people love gmail. It makes
> what used to be a much more complicated thing much easier to follow. I
> think people are voting with their email accounts and by this measure
> people in mailing lists *love* the gmail design. The high percentage
> of gmail use vs aol or hotmail or outlook or whatever is no
> coincidence.
>
> Regards,
> Hank

In my gmail account:
create a message with subject "Test Thread" - body "Test Thread".  Send
it.  Reply to it from gmail account, Change the subject to "Test Thread
Two" - body to "test thread Two", Send it.  Reply to Test Thread Two,
Change subject to "Test Thread three" - body to "Test Thread 3", Send
it.  View Test Thread Three,,, see that Google 'threaded' all three
messages as one thread/conversation, not three separate ones.