Wifi again

t3st3r t3st3r at mail.ru
Sat Feb 17 23:57:00 CET 2007

Oleg Gusev wrote:
> Am Samstag, 17. Februar 2007 12:24 schrieb t3st3r:
>
>> P.S. As for me, I'm still do not understand, why there is no WI-FI built
>> in. This is a BIG hardware design mistake IMHO.
>>

> It does not make sense to complain here about the (missing)
> hardware features.
Okay, stopping it.
> If you urgently need wifi in a phone
> take a HTC model where the ACX100 chipset has
> Linux support (Universal).

Will consider buying it only if they'll use linux by default and if it
will not be crippled in bastardized manner. Bastardized means for
example, when some assholes "we do know better than you what you need"
can have hardware or proprietary crapware implementations which are
prohibiting kernel modifications or software installations - this
interferes with GPL spirit even if formally can be ok. And there should
be vendor support and reasonable community around so there is dozen of
programs ported, etc. Otherwise they're better go to the hell. IIRC, HTC
does runs Windows mobile  by default and it is too optimistic to assume
one people can hack Linux in and then port significant amount of
programs in just one face. Maybe it is possible to have some community
around it (I heard someone already porting or ported linux to HTC) but I
guess projects where Linux is a default OS have much more chances to
gain such community, so thing can become somehow popular and succesful.
Just compare Nokia 770 vs pocket PC devices "hacked" to run Linux.What
is more popular? Where lots of software and big and helpful community? I
guess same case here. I.e. hacking linux to HTC and getting wi-fi to
work is not impossible ... but is it really worth of [my] efforts? I
guess answer is probably "NO".