GPS time synch

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Tue Feb 20 17:44:33 CET 2007

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org> writes:
>>> yes.
>> That is only during GPS being powered up, of course. We probably don't
>> want it to be powered unconditionally, since it drains quite some
>> power.
>
> Out of curiosity, how bad is the GPS power drain? There are
> applications I would like (such as automatically turning the ringer
> back on when the phone is inside my home -- I always forget to do that
> and miss calls) that require location information at reasonably
> frequent intervals...

Based on ballpark estimates from other similar devices, it's probably
around 70mW.

This will really hurt if you keep it on all the time, fortunately, for
most applications, you probably don't need to.
If it works at 2s on, 30s off, as seems likely, this alone drains 1/30th
of the battery per day, which isn't bad. Especially as you can probably
back off a little if the phone has been stationary for several minutes.