Marketing fodder for Neo: FCC presentation

Jeff Andros jeff at bigredtj.com
Thu Feb 22 20:22:44 CET 2007

On 2/22/07, Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch> wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2007 19:43:26 Sam Kome wrote:
> > Yes, if the phone in question has been locked to another carrier:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidy_lock
> >

> Still, nobody really forces you to buy SIM locked phone for all I know. If you
> want cheap phones, that is usually the price...

in the U.S. carriers are basically the only "real" source of phones...
and they only sell one kind.  it's also next to impossible to buy a
plan without purchasing a phone as well(albeit a heavily subsidized
one).  while there are retailers that sell sim-unlocked phones most of
these are either internet order or slightly shady.  as I understand
it, most other places this is not the case but it's the reality here

when Sean's dad, or other "normal" consumers go out to purchase a
phone, the only trustworthy source they can really find is from the
carrier... so it's a self-perpetuating ecosystem

--
Jeff