Back from FOSDEM

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Mon Feb 26 23:27:28 CET 2007

Salve Stefan,*!

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 16:57, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> >
> > So we now know that the Nokia BL5C is a compatible battery which is
> > quite amazing, since those things are cheap and probably come in
> > variants with larger capacity as well...

I saw this and I can't believe that this was pure random and that
Mickey and the other doesn't know that the battery is compatible to
an nokia one - but FIC must ask a component supplier for a battery
and this offerend a BL5C compatible one... :)))

I took an unsharp picture while Mickey plug in this battery into
the Neo:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Image:Neo1973-with-BL5C-battery.png

This is a very good news - I think everybody feared like me to have
a non populare battery inside the Neo. ;))))
When I saw it correctly, the BL5C compatible battery was about 2 mm
thinner than the Neo1973 ones.

> BL-5C gives even more hits on ebay. You should be able to get one
> around 5 Euro including shipping. Of course the battery only is 1 Eur.
> :)
> The highest capacity I found for this type until now is 1900mAH. IIRC
> the FIC one in your phone stated 1200mAH. So it's a nice upgrade. Of
> course some real life tests will show us more.

It's not only about the capacity when the accu is new,
remember Jim's OLPC presentation - how many recharging
cycles will the accu "survive".

I found accus with an 3600mAh sticker on it:
http://reklamninoviny.aukro.cz/item166314553_3600mah_polymer_2600_3100_6030_6230_6630_bl_5c.html
http://aukcjewp.wp.pl/show_item.php?item=168403226
http://www.apexbattery.com/nokia-5-6-7100-series-3600mah-lith-vibe-cell-phone-lithium-batteries.html
3800mAh:
http://aukcja.onet.pl/show_item.php?item=166249773
3800mAh @ 3/4"
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4864400P1639655-Cellular/NOKIA/Batteries/CPNK-6110XL-3800mAh-Lithium-Ion-battery-pack-for-Nokia.aspx

but the question is if it has it also in real live
or only the sticker on that. 1900mAH could be realistic,
but 3600mAh???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_polymer_battery
Says LiPo accus could have up to 130-200 Wh/kg....

Here is a polnish forum about the allegro offeres:
http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic656979.html
(I can't understand it but Li-Pol 1600mAh = 9,2mm?)

IMHO it would be nice when beside of ebay, we would
have a (little more) trustworthy source for higher capacity
accus for our neos (without the danger of melting/exploding
accus...)

What do you think, when
- we would have an battery USB-Hub with the same battery format
- the USB-Hub is dual use - with BL5C and AA(A) ?
- the USB-Hub could work as (second) battery charger
- the neo would allows to replace the battery inbetween 10 seconds
  without reboot

Greetings,
rob

PS:
Another good hardwarenews is that it seems that the Neo1973
audio jack is stereo out *and* mono mic in :)))