Patent?

Stuart Gray randomelginguy at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 16:33:16 CET 2007

Phew was just worrying there, I would rather have a choice which phone I wanted rather than one being knocked off the market by patents.  Apple iPhone looks really good though, pity its not open source.

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:29:46 -0800Subject: Re: Patent?From: david.schlesinger at palmsource.comTo: randomelginguy at hotmail.com; community at lists.openmoko.org
Patents are much more specific than that. Apple can’t simply patent touchscreens, or even touchscreens on phone—there’s substantial prior art in those areas. They can (conceivably, I haven’t seen any of their patent applications, obviously) attempt to patent things like the use of particular “gestures”, etc., but it’s unlikely (to me) that this would have direct impact on the NEO...On 1/10/07 7:21 AM, "Stuart Gray" <randomelginguy at hotmail.com> wrote:
I was just watching the apple iPhone keynote.  And when Steve Jobs is describing the phone touchscreen interface, he says they have patented it.  What does this mean about the OpenMoko phone?  I am not overly knowledgable about patent protection, so it may be a silly question.  But doesn't the fact that they have the mobile phone touchscreen interface patented mean that you cannot realease the OpenMoko as it is infringing on it?Stuart Gray

Be one of the first to try  Windows Live Mail. <http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=5d21c51a-b161-4314-9b0e-4911fb2b2e6d>