Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Renaissance Man renaissanceman at macmail.com
Thu Jan 18 02:17:22 CET 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 12:57 am, Richard Franks wrote:

> I disagree - VoIP via WiFi is an obvious evolution rather than
> revolutionary.

But you're looking at it from a geek's point of view instead of a
typical end-user's point of view.

Anything that allows me to go from spending £45 plus a month on
mobile communications to effectively zero, including talking to my
parents who live on the other side of the planet, is revolutionary.

> I don't think it's a 'killer app' either - in the terms of the
> phone manufacturer who is more likely to benefit from getting
> 6-12months lead and market share in an unexploited but growing
> market (Open Source Mobile Phones).

Killer app: "a computer program that is so useful or desirable that
it proves the value of some underlying technology"

I couldn't think of a better example of a killer app than sticking a
piece of software on a device that lets people speak to each other
around the world effectively for free.

The revolution won't have people saying, oh man, I want one of those,
because it's open source. They'll be saying, oh man, I want one of
those because I can communicate with a mobile device for a pittance
(open source will simply be one way of doing it).

Renaissance Man