ipaq sleeves as an example for hardware extensions

kenneth marken k-marken at online.no
Thu Jan 18 10:01:42 CET 2007

Christopher Heiny wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 14:37, kenneth marken scribbled in crayon on
> the back of a kid's menu:
>> Christopher Heiny wrote:
>>> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 13:48, David Schlesinger scribbled in
>>> crayon on
>>>
>>> the back of a kid's menu:
>>> I used an iPaq for a year. Even with a sleeve with an extra battery in
>>> it, power was in short supply.  And the darn sleeve was so bulky, it
>>> was like carrying a brick in my pocket.
>> something tells your trying to say that sleeves is a bad idea...
>
> Gosh!  Was it that transparent? :-)
>
> Actually, I don't know if sleeves themselves are inherently a bad idea.  The
> iPaq's sleeves certainly sucked, but it's entirely possible that better
> implementations are possible.

true. the biggest problem right now is that the usb port is unpowered.
therefor any optential sleeve will have to carry its own power supply.

outside of that, most of the hardware needed have become very small
since the ipaq.

question is tho if the fexibility afforded by a sleeve system is worth
the extra bulk.

yes the ideal device is something the thickness of a credit card that
can house the computing power of a nuclear physics super cluster. but
until one hits that spot, there will allways be a compromise between
size and functions.