is google.com down? Move this list to a BB/Forum system?

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Fri Jan 19 11:01:39 CET 2007

On Friday 19 January 2007 07:55, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> > Gmane to the rescue!
> > http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.openmoko.general
>
> I read from all this the hint that we should start to sort out and
> better archive topics by having different tool than an e-mail list.
> Let us move to a phpBB (or whatever you like) system. Or even better
> to the existing OESF forums.

Hi,
I have nothing to do with openmoko officially, but this question (or the
reverse) seems to come up on so many OS projects I've followed I'll give it a
shot:
The answer is really quite simple, do we want our core developers spending
time setting-up and managing forums? I don't think so.
Do we want to fragment the current community? I hope not.
So this seems just the kind of area people who prefer a forum can pitch in and
contribute to this project, while improving the user experience for
themselves, without degrading it for those who prefer mailing lists.
Get a domain, install a forum (preferably Drupal imho), subscribe
the 'General' forum to this list, so all mails show up on the forum, and
allow the forum to send replies back to the email list.
That way everyone's happy, developers can keep developing, and you are
contributing to openmoko.

just my 2c of course.

Richard